Thursday, August 7, 2014

Nerdicus SNES Review #33: BioMetal



Title : BioMetal

Publisher : Activision

Developer : Athena

Genre : Scrolling Shooter

Players : 1 Player

Release Date : 1993

Estimated Value (as of today's date) : $15-$20

Hey, wait a second. Is that a xenomorph on the cover? Don't try to trick me Activision, I know you're trying to sneak in some Alien references into your game to try and make some sales. Sneaky Sneaky! Can't fool me. 

Meh, who the hell am I fooling. I'll pick up any side scrolling shooter with that sort of alien on the box art. I'm a sucker for shooters, and I'm an even bigger sucker for side-scrolling shooters. Come to think about it, I haven't played one in oh.....5 or 6 games...a NEW RECORD!

BioMetal is a lot like any other side scrolling shooter, and more closely resembling the famous R-Type. You'll take on the role of the two lead singers of the Techno Band (2Unlimited) who provided the music for this game to defeat the evil race of aliens known as BIOMETALS with the ultimate goal of destroying the human race. Oh, you think I'm joking about the whole Techno Band bit? BUT I'M NOT!

Seriously, if this game is known for one thing, it's the epic techno music actually done by the band 2 UNLIMITED. Apparently, it's believed that the two main characters of the game are actually named after the lead members of the band. Wouldn't be surprised, and it would be quite an homage. Anyway, enough talk about Techno music...this isn't the 90's anymore...hop into your fighter. It's time to kill some xenomorph wannabes.


You know that song you heard in practically every NHL game since 1994? That techno song...it goes...DA DA, DA DA DA DA DA, DA DA, DA DA DA DA...DA DA DA DA DA DA DA..YEAH!!!...okay, that doesn't help. But I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about. Go look it up on youtube. Well, that's the song that greets you on the title screen. Along with that xenomorph.

Oh boy...

Much like other shooters you have probably played over the years, this plays the same way. Blast through enemies, collect power ups, collect shields, and don't get hit. Rinse, and repeat, and kill some bosses and boom...you're on your way to victory. ON A TECHNO RAVE!!!!!!!!! WOOOOO!!!!! Whip out the rave lights.


Ya know, there's not much to say about this game. Besides the crazy techno music in the background and the overuse of Giger-esque enemies, it's just another shooter. Not too bad, not amazing. I'd play it again if I was bored, but that's about it.

And if i wanted to jam out to that NHL music lol.

Final Score (out of 5) :


Until next time, keep on gaming!

0 comments:

Post a Comment