Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Nerdicus NES Review #25 : The Adventures of LoLo 3


Title : The Adventures of LoLo 3

Publisher : HAL America

Release Date : 1991

Estimated Value (as of today's date) : $30-$50

Lolo is at it again in this third, and final installment of The Adventures of Lolo. We've been through a lot, that little blue ball and I. From puzzle filled rooms that I breezed through in a matter of seconds, to rooms that i sold my soul to the devil himself in order to pass. All to save that pink little cutey by the name of Lala. Oh, you guys make such a cute couple. But, alas it's time to say our goodbyes. There are many more NES games to conquer, and your series has drawn to a close.




But will the last of the Lolo games leave me wanting? Or will it just leave a bitter taste in my mouth?


I really shouldn't have to explain what these games are about, since if you read the last two reviews I'm SURE you'll get the gist of it. But, in case you didn't, I suggest you go back and just give em a quick skim. Or, if you're too lazy to do that, just read on.

It's a logic puzzle game. There, I said it. Nothing else to it. You collect a bunch of hearts by re-arranging a room either by moving around monsters turned into eggs, or using tools. Collect the hearts, get a key, move on to the next stage. Are we good? Okay, moving on.

Now the real question lies in what makes The Adventures of Lolo 3 any different from Lolo 1 or Lolo 2? Not much, but JUST enough to make me love the game just as much as the first.


They tried to change things up a little bit with Lolo 3. First off is the introduction of the World Map. I don't know, but is it just me or is that if games are strapped for ideas they just throw in a world map. Ah well, at least it made it feel like you were progressing through the game a little bit differently rather than just climbing a never ending tower.

Besides the world map though, you're also now able to play as Lala! She's no longer kidnapped! THANK GOD! Unfortunately, there is no difference between Lala and Lolo. Just the a's and the o's. So now you basically get to choose a ball based on a color preference. All to rescue some eggs.....yeah, I don't know.



Okay forget about the nit picky stuff. So, how does the game hold up? Well the puzzles are just as difficult as the first two games, with new obstacles added as well as a whole new level layout of being UNDERWATER. I mean, underwater isn't that different besides some whale monster that sucks you up which just ends up screwing you over in the long run.

I'm not sure though, sometimes I had the feeling when going through a level that I had done it before. Maybe it's because I played the games in quick succession, and the levels may have started to mold together, but I think some levels may have been reused and tweaked slightly. Then again, maybe not. Or maybe I'm just a Lolo pro now? I'll leave it at that. That sounds good.


Another perk that was a step up from the previous games was the addition of level ending bosses. So now I didn't have to wait until the end of the game to fight some giant creature that was usually either a big ball or big cube, but now I had something to break up the puzzle solving every few levels. It was a nice little feature, nothing crazy though. All of them were WAY too easy though. It's just a break from monotony.


In the end, The Adventures of Lolo series stands tall as one of the best, if not the best, logic puzzle games for the NES. It's also one of the few series that continue to get better as it progresses. Something that is no easy feat, especially in this game library.

So what are you waiting for folks? You've got roughly 300 levels to solve, so get cracking and play through the Lolo series. You won't regret it.

Final Score (out of 5) :





Until next time. Keep on gaming!

0 comments:

Post a Comment